The role of Wireless Network Engineer sits within the operational side of Enterprise Services. The employee will be involved in the installation, configuration, testing and documentation of wireless access and LAN backhaul technologies, in addition to installation of wireless networks the role will also include completing on-site and predictive wireless surveys. They will have a strong understanding of a range of wireless manufacturers equipment and LAN network architecture. The Wireless Network Engineer must be fully conversant in not only the practical aspects of installing and configuring a wireless network but also demonstrate a firm grasp of networking theory in general. They should also maintain a good knowledge of the prevalent standards and be willing to continually develop and learn in order to match and stay current with the changing pace of technology. As part of this role the employee must also maintain a working knowledge of structured cabling systems and active network architecture as it is upon these technologies that the wireless elements of a network sits. The Wireless Network Engineer may be asked to contribute in other areas of the business where there skills may be transferable such as design of wireless networks and implementation of switched and routed network architecture.
Sudlows prides itself on the quality of our designs and installations as well as how we engage with our customers. As a customer facing operative the Wireless Network Engineer will be expected to provide a high level of customer service in keeping with Sudlows’ standards as well as proving clear and concise communication both internally and externally. The highest levels of workmanship are expected as standard as well as strict adherence to our health and safety standards. All engineers are expected to be able to follow company processes relating to work generated documentation and our internal paperwork and systems.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Installation, configuration, testing and documentation of wireless access and LAN backhaul systems.
- Maintenance and fault calls on a range of wireless technologies.
- Interfacing and work with switched and routed LAN network architecture.
- Maintain integrity and security of end clients systems at all times.
- Interpreting and understanding proposal documents, schematics and drawings.
- Accurate and timely completion of all work related documentation including but not limited to test results, commissioning information, drawings and O&M information.
- Ensure the highest quality of workmanship at all times.
- Ensure accurate, clear and concise documentation at all times.
- Self auditing own work.
- Interfacing with other systems and sub contractors, in particular but not limited to Structured Cabling Systems. IP Security Systems, Building Intelligence Systems.
- Accurate and timely completion of all internal documentation as required in your employment contract.
- Maintain adherence to Sudlows health and safety standards at all times.
- This list is not exhaustive and you may be asked to assist in other areas of the business as the need arises.
- Demonstrable knowledge wireless network installation.
- Demonstrable knowledge wireless network surveys and analysis.
- Demonstrable knowledge of switched and routed LAN network architecture.
- Previously verifiable experience working with wireless and networking technologies.
- Previously verifiable experience of wireless surveying tools such as Ekahau.
- Demonstrable knowledge of IP Networking at a high level and a high IT competence in general.
- Experience in using a range of networking tools to analyse and solve networking issues.
- Understanding and experience with networking elements such as QoS, DNS, DHCP, Radius, TACACS, SNMP amongst others.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy while completing documentation in all its forms.
- Working knowledge of current and prevalent standards governing wireless networking.
- Excellent customer facing manner.
- Flexible approach to working location and times.
- UK Driving Licence.
- Industry recognised training and certification in wireless / networking such as CCNA or above.
- Manufacturer awarded training and certification in the installation and / or design of wireless networks such as Aruba, Cisco or Aerohive for example.
- Recognised educational award at degree level of an IT related discipline.
- Proven specific experience or training in other IT / Network related areas such as Switching and Routing or Client / Server installation.
- Proven experience and / or industry recognised training with other technologies in the intelligent building space such as, Intelligent Lighting, HVAC and Energy Management.
- CSCS / ECS Card.
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Location: Manchester based with projects based throughout the UK
Rate: Negotiable dependent on experience.