With the continued expansion of our award winning technical services company, we have a fantastic opportunity for a Mechanical Estimator to join our successful Critical Infrastructure division. This division is expanding rapidly and we have a great team in place who are passionate about their roles, and therefore we are looking for a candidate with a similar passion and team working skills.
With over 190 staff, and with further expansion plans, Sudlows are keen to recruit candidates who will be part of this ambition. We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
The key purpose of the role is the production of detailed and accurate mechanical designs & estimates for design & build projects throughout the UK. The successful candidate will be required to work on a broad variety of major projects, across the Data Centre & Critical Infrastructure sectors.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Review of incoming tender documentation and the production of a planned methodology, preliminary basis of estimate and a clear strategy for price competitiveness for inclusion in the overall tender strategy.
- Accurate representation of prime costs.
- Establish relevant sub-contract and supplier enquiries, review of quotations against design and identify compliance/non-compliance
- The preparation of detailed estimates through a range of techniques and cross check against past and current experience.
- Presentation and explanation of estimate structures to Senior Management and Directors, including clients.
- Lead Lessons Learnt and continuous improvement to the estimating database.
- Establish VE options and enhancements
- Liaise with Senior Account Managers, Technical Account Managers and Technical Designers to ensure high quality & detailed proposals are submitted in line with client requirements.
- To advise the Service Design Manager on any foreseeable issues with workload etc.
- Preparing all enquiries/designs for sign off at the relevant level in good time as to allow for changes to take effect within the deadline date.
- Involvement in finalisation of tenders including value engineering suggestions, alternative manufacturer proposals etc. and transfer of agreed values into estimating system.
- Ensuring all roles and responsibilities are carried out in accordance with business procedures.
- Follow all company standards with regards to estimating practices & procedures etc.
- As required represent the Company in negotiations and meetings.
- Attend internal project handover meetings and assist Commercial Manager in developing the commercial strategy for the project.
- Working knowledge of the Data Centre and Critical Infrastructures
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience of estimating.
- Experience of industrial site working.
- Highly numerate and capable in the use of Microsoft Excel and other estimating tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Use of Contract master and Estimation software
- Demonstrable capability to think independently in the use of systems, challenging NORMs and adopting best practice in estimation.
- Demonstrable knowledge in the continuous improvement of estimating methodologies and the positives and negatives of differing approaches.
- Qualified mechanical/electrical engineer or suitable numerate qualification.
- Highest Standards: Consistently demonstrates that only the best is good enough, with a positive attitude towards continuous improvement, passion and pride about own work
- Client Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of clients. Actively collects first-hand client information and uses it to improve services and solutions
- Driven: Demonstrates complete focus and determination to achieve successful outcomes. Is highly motivated and has a good work ethic. Is enthusiastic tenacious and determined
- Operational Excellence: Plans and organises themselves to safely achieve maximum efficiency and output. Delivers results consistently
- Communication: Approachable team player who is able to communicate at different levels and influence people, as well as being able to clearly communicate ideas, plans and priorities to others.
- Smart: Is able to perform consistently under pressure, think quickly and adapt to different situations
- Honesty: Behaves with integrity at all times
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: exercises straightforward technical or professional judgement using Company values, policy and procedures to guide actions and make decisions
- Personal Development: Actively pursues own personal development
A competitive package is on offer commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate as well as professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Location: Oldham – With national travel
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.