With the continued expansion of our award winning technical services company, Sudlows, who work throughout the UK, have a growing portfolio of projects and have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Mechanical Commissioning Engineer to join our successful Critical Infrastructure division.
We have over 200 staff and have achieved recent growth with ongoing expansion plans. Sudlows are keen to recruit candidates who will be part of this ambition. We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
The key purpose of the role is to oversee the commissioning and testing for our design & build projects throughout the UK working within our Specialist Services team.
The successful candidate will be required to work on a broad variety of major projects, across the Data Centre & Critical Infrastructure sectors reporting to the Specialist Services Manager and the associated Project management team.
Pre-dominantly mechanical biased, the candidate will need electrical system understanding to assist with the commissioning and testing of the equipment as a fully comprehensive integrated system.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Review of incoming contract documentation and the production/development of a planned methodology and a clear strategy (programme / commissioning plan) to commission and test the awarded project.
- To conduct “commission-ability reviews” of the system being installed and to advise the Specialist Services Manager, Design Manager(s) and Project Manager(s) on any foreseeable issues with scope and design strategy allowing incorporation to final design.
- When required to assist with the preparation of enquiries/designs with the bid time, offering guidance on required commissioning requirements.
- The preparation of detailed quotations via the supply chain to satisfy the Employers Requirements (ERs) and ensuring orders to the supply chain as necessary to facilitate the commissioning of the systems.
- Attendance and witnessing on behalf of the company at Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT), ensuring FAT tests are conducted and validated in compliance with the ERs and the sites requirements and to act as approval authority of such testing alongside the Design Manager.
- Organisation of the commissioning and testing to suit the project programme.
- Management of the commissioning being undertaken upon the site, and day to day organisation, liaison with the respective supply and sub-contract chain.
- To review, develop, create and conduct the necessary commissioning documentation, including Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) and Integrated System Testing (IST) scripts in line with the projects requirements to deliver a fully integrated and operational project to the end user.
- Review, approve and where necessary create method statements and risk assessments in conjunction with the projects varying needs and requirements to fully commission and test the installation.
- Will have a working knowledge of BSRIA, UTI, ASHRAE and CIBSE methods and requirements.
- Presentation and explanation skills to communicate methodology and strategy to Senior Management and Directors, including clients and sub-contractors.
- Assist with or lead Lessons Learnt and provide continuous improvement to the database.
- Liaise with Project Managers, Technical Account Managers and Technical Designers to ensure project delivery in line with client requirements.
- Ensuring all roles and responsibilities are carried out in accordance with business procedures.
- Follow all company standards with regards to commissioning practices & procedures etc.
- As required represent the Company in meetings.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of the Data Centre and Critical Infrastructures cooling systems, mediums and methods.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience of commissioning Data Centre systems.
- Experience of industrial site working, and experience with working away from home for long periods at a time.
- Highly numerate and capable in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word and other commissioning tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- A good working knowledge of controls systems such as Building Management Systems, Chiller Sequencing, alongside fault finding and analytical problem-solving skills to assist with the commissioning and testing process is essential.
- Knowledge of standard maintenance regimes.
- Demonstrable capability to think independently in the use of systems, challenging NORMs and adopting best practice in commissioning.
- Demonstrable knowledge in the continuous improvement of commissioning methodologies and the positives and negatives of differing approaches.
- Qualified mechanical engineer or suitable numerate qualification, minimum HNC level.
- Commissioning Specialist Association membership is preferred.
- Current Construction Skills certified member.
- Full driving licence.
- From time to time the successful candidate will be required to travel overseas.
Planning and Organising:
- Able to perform consistently under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Quick thinker and adaptable to different situations
- Ability to accept change and new ideas
- Exercise straightforward technical or professional judgement using Company values, policy and procedures to guide actions and decisions
Working with People:
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of clients. Actively collect first-hand client information and uses it to improve services and solutions
- Understand how to encourage and influence people to get the best from them
- Understand the needs of others and able to respond accordingly
- Approachable team player who is able to communicate at different levels and situations and influence people
- Has everyday spoken skills e.g. telephone and face-to-face conversations
- Has advanced written and numeric skills appropriate to the job
- Can clearly communicate ideas, plans and priorities to others
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.