Due to the continued expansion of our Critical Infrastructures division, including our award winning data centre design and build team, we have an exciting career opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic Engineering Professional with Data Centre and Critical Infrastructure Experience.
Sudlows work throughout the UK and have a growing portfolio of clients globally. We have over 200 staff and have achieved recent growth with ongoing expansion plans. The successful candidate will be a valued member of one our key teams within the business.
To support current growth, this position will be based from our Chadderton office in Manchester, but will require travel as required on a project basis.
The Junior Data Centre Design Engineer would work as part of the Data Centre team supporting the delivery of a wide range of disciplines around Data Centre projects, working with the wider team to undertake data centre audits, proposals and to co-ordinate design deliverables.
Sudlows Data Centre Design team work closely with clients throughout the lifecycle of a data centre project, having an understanding and experience to support the production of high-quality proposals, audits, and designs.
Following Sudlows appointment, the Junior Data Centre design engineer will support project delivery as a point of contact for the design deliverables of a project, working with the appointed Sudlows Technical and Project leads to deliver high quality, award winning projects.
The suitable candidate will have some experience in data centres, telecoms M&E infrastructure or other critical engineering environments. They will ideally be a qualified engineer with a bias towards either mechanical or electrical engineering. Qualifications in other related fields may also be considered subject to experience.
Separate from any professional engineering bias, the suitable candidate will have some understanding of a wide variety of data centre technologies such as: Critical LV Switchgear Arrangements, UPS Systems, Standby Generation, Critical Cooling Systems Inc. Chilled Water, Fire Suppression, Control and Monitoring systems (e.g BMS, PMS and EMS etc).
The suitable candidate will be capable of working both independently and as part of a larger team, establishing productive, professional relationships with key personnel both internally and externally.
The suitable candidate will have knowledge of applicable data centre standards such as the Uptime Institute and BS EN 50600, or may have some experience of telecoms environments with respect to the M&E infrastructure.
The suitable candidate will be able to work as part of a small team to deliver audits of data centre environments, commenting on elements such as Resilience, Reliability, Sustainability, Energy Efficiency, Maintainability, and Compliance with Relevant Data Centre Standards.
The suitable candidate will be fully proficient with typical office software e.g MS Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) and a basic understanding of AutoCAD / Revit and BIM would be preferred although not essential.
Although all of the above is preferable, Sudlows are committed to supporting the development of our engineering team and therefore if additional support is required for some of the above, this can be considered subject to further discussion dependent on other practical experience.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the production of Audits, Concept Designs and Proposals for Data Centres, Telecoms and other critical spaces, co-ordinating with the wider design team as required.
- Support the technical development of Proposals and Tender Responses, supporting the Bid Team as required.
- To support the production of specifications for Data Centre and Critical Environment projects.
- To co-ordinate reviews of design drawings and specifications collating feedback and comment as applicable.
- To co-ordinate technical submittals prior to submission to client teams completing trackers and/or using project specific project management portals as required.
- To liaise with subcontractors and specialists as required.
- To carry out site surveys to allow the accurate production of tender responses and the production of concept designs.
- To undertake site audits as part of a team. Reviewing Layout and Configuration with respect to usability, resilience, reliability, Sustainability, Energy Efficiency, Maintainability, and Compliance with Relevant Data Centre Standards (subject to experience).
- To liaise with other Sudlows divisions and departments, and with specialist sub-contractors and ensure that all drawings and specifications are issued with all required information.
- To liaise with the Procurement Manager to ensure all necessary specifications and drawings and available for procurement use.
- A Familiarity and Experience with Data Centre Installations is essential.
- Based from our Manchester Chadderton Office, travel through the UK will be required, with potential travel to EMEA regions as required for individual projects.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Familiar with data centre engineering concepts and technologies and qualified to degree/HNC level in a related engineering field.
- Fully proficient with all office software and able to produce high quality professional documents, presentations, and reports. Experience of working with CAD, 3D, BIM software.
- Good communicator, both in writing and on the telephone.
- Able to prioritise tasks and manage time, to meet tender return deadlines.
- Working towards Chartered status with a related recognised body (e.g CIBSE, IET, IMechE) is preferable but not essential.
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: Negotiable dependant on experience