Due to the continued expansion of our highly successful specialised engineering company, including our award winning data centre design and build business, we are looking for a Health & Safety Manager to be based from our Oldham office.
We have over 200 staff and have achieved recent growth with ongoing expansion plans. Sudlows are keen to recruit candidates who will be part of this ambition. We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
To act as the Company’s lead competent person for health and safety as defined by the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. To ensure the Company complies with current health and safety legislation approved codes of practice and guidance in relation to employment and service provision. Work proactively with staff to establish and maintain a system that promotes a culture of safe working practices across the Company.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To monitor, evaluate and review Health and Safety policy and practice, make recommendations and implement new policies and procedures as required.
- To ensure the Company’s Health and Safety Policy is implemented consistently across the Company.
- To advise the Board and senior management team on the implications of current and emerging health, safety and welfare legislation, including evaluating options, making recommendations and generating actions plans to ensure compliance across the Company.
- To support staff to maintain safe systems, providing specialist advice, coaching and practical support.
- To assist managers/staff implement health and safety systems and procedures to meet specific requirements, such as accident reporting and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) in a consistent and effective manner.
- To carry out audits to evaluate the effectiveness of health and safety systems and procedures, and identify and implement improvements.
- To ensure routine health and safety activities and checks are carried out e.g. testing of portable electrical appliances and the review of risk assessments.
- To investigate, or where appropriate, to assist others to investigate the circumstances and causes of accidents and take necessary steps to prevent a recurrence.
- Take action to mitigate the impact and likelihood of health and safety risks.
- Monitor the services provided to external clients (CDM) to ensure that the team responds proactively to programme constraints.
- Provide direct management and leadership to the Health and Safety Officer
- Co-ordinate the issuing of notifications where required to the Health and Safety Executive.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- NEBOSH qualified
- CMIOSH or working towards
- CSCS/ECS card
- First aid training
- Background in construction or engineering
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work
- Excellent knowledge of Health & Safety law and regulations
- Full UK Driving licence
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.