Due to the continued expansion of our highly successful specialised engineering company, including our award-winning data centre design and build business, we have a fantastic opportunity for a Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer to work on our Data Centre design and build projects.
We have approximately 220 staff and have achieved successful growth with ongoing expansion plans. Sudlows are keen to recruit candidates who will be part of this ambition. We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
We recognise this to be a “Development Role” so a good deal of learning will be required. The following is a general outline of the role as experience is gained.
- To work as a member of the CI (Critical Infrastructures team) designing Data Centre cooling and ventilation solutions.
- Supporting all disciplines around the Data Centre projects and pulling together drawings / designs / specifications / manufacturers information / Project Plans and costs to produce a detailed solution for the client and then to present the proposal to the client.
- Once the Client has the proposal the role is to keep the relationship with the client, in conjunction with the Business Development Co-ordinator, and develop the proposal until an order is placed, then if required to develop the design with the team to a detailed design.
- Hand over completed designs to the the project team and give an overview of the project.
- To give design support to the Project team as and when required
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To produce designs for data centre mechanical systems including chilled water and high efficiency cooling systems
- To produce mechanical schematics both for sales documentation and for build drawings (Revit/CAD skills are an advantage but not essential)
- To produce specifications for critical part of mechanical installations
- Create and issue mechanical specifications to contractors
- Review mechanical quotations and select suitable contractor
- Carry out site surveys
- To develop the mechanical systems including developing all necessary drawings, technical submissions, calculations and descriptions of operation to construction standard.
- To liaise with all sub-contractors and ensure that all drawings are issued with all required information.
- To liaise with the Procurement Manager to ensure all necessary specifications and drawings and available for procurement use
- To check and approve Purchase Orders with respect to Technical Design
- Experience with Data Centre Installations preferable but not essential.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Qualified to degree level in Building Services Engineering &/or HVAC related subjects. (Thermofluid and Thermodynamics also considered.)
- Experience with Data Centre / High Efficiency Cooling Installations preferable but not essential
- Good communicator, both in writing and on the telephone
- Good numeracy skills
- Experience with HEVA Comp – preferable but not essential
- Competent in Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to prioritise tasks and manage time, to meet tender return deadlines
- Experience with and currently working for a mechanical consultant or contractor in a similar role (preferable but not essential)
Planning and Organising:
- Ability to organise own workload
- Ability to prioritise work and deliver to tight deadlines
- Able to maintain accurate and timely records as required by the role
- Forward thinking, dedicated and driven
Working with People:
- Able to establish a rapport with service users as necessary e.g. clients, members of the public, other contractors etc.
- Understands how to encourage and influence people to get the best from them
- Understands the needs of others and able to respond accordingly
- Able to communicate factual information politely and courteously.
- Has excellent spoken skills e.g. telephone and face-to-face conversations.
- Has advanced written and numeric skills appropriate to the job.
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.