Due to the continued expansion of our critical infrastructures division, including our award-winning data centre design and build team, we have an exciting career opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic design engineer with critical infrastructure experience within data centre or telecoms environments.
Sudlows work throughout the UK and have a growing portfolio of clients globally. We have over 230 staff and have achieved recent growth with ongoing expansion plans. The successful candidate will be a valued member of one our key teams within the business.
To support current growth, this position will be based in our head office in Chadderton but will involve travel as required on a project basis.
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
The successful candidate would take a leading role within the critical infrastructures design team as a multi-disciplined engineering lead, supporting data centre and telecommunications projects by co-ordinating and undertaking audits, proposals and design deliverables.
Sudlows design team work closely with clients throughout the lifecycle of a project to ensure the delivery of high quality, sustainable and efficient critical infrastructure projects through the application of a strong experience in the sector and a commitment to advancing technology.
Following Sudlows appointment, the successful design engineer will support project delivery as a point of contact for the design deliverables of a project, working with the appointed Sudlows technical and project leads to deliver high quality, award winning projects.
The suitable candidate will have some experience in data centres, telecoms M&E infrastructure and similar critical environments, being a qualified engineer with a bias towards either mechanical or electrical engineering, although qualifications in other related fields may be considered subject to a higher level of practical experience.
Separate from any professional engineering bias, the suitable candidate will have an understanding of a wide variety of data centre technologies such as: critical lv switchgear arrangements, ups systems, standby generation, critical cooling systems inc. Chilled water, fire suppression, control and monitoring systems (e.g. BMS, PMS and EMS etc).
The suitable candidate will be capable of working both independently and as part of a larger team, establishing productive, professional relationships with key personnel both internally and externally. You will have some experience and knowledge of applicable data centre standards such as the uptime institute and BS EN 50600.
You will be able to work as part of a team to deliver audits of critical engineering environments, commenting on elements such as resilience, reliability, sustainability, energy efficiency, maintainability, and compliance with relevant data centre standards.
The suitable candidate will be fully proficient with typical office software e.g. MS office (word/excel/PowerPoint) and a basic understanding of AutoCAD / Revit and BIM would be preferred although not essential.
Although all of the above is preferable, Sudlows are committed to supporting the development of our engineering team and therefore if additional support is required for some of the above, this can be considered subject to further discussion dependent on other practical experience.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- To produce designs for data centre, telco, and other critical engineering spaces.
- Support the production of audits, concept designs and proposals for data centres and critical facilitates, co-ordinating with the wider design team as required.
- Support the technical development of proposals and tender responses, supporting the bid team as required.
- To support the production of specifications for data centre and critical environment projects.
- To co-ordinate reviews of design drawings and specifications collating feedback and comment as applicable.
- To co-ordinate technical submittals prior to submission to client teams completing trackers and/or using project specific project management portals as required.
- To liaise with subcontractors and specialists as required.
- To carry out site surveys to allow the accurate production of tender responses and the production of concept designs.
- To undertake site audits as part of a team. Reviewing layout and configuration with respect to usability, resilience, reliability, sustainability, energy efficiency, maintainability, and compliance with relevant data centre standards (subject to experience).
- To liaise with other Sudlows divisions and departments, and with specialist sub-contractors and ensure that all drawings and specifications are issued with all required information.
- To liaise with the procurement manager to ensure all necessary specifications and drawings and available for procurement use.
- A familiarity and experience with data centre installations is essential. To support the production of specifications for data centre and critical environment projects.
Skills and qualifications:
- A strong technical experience in leading critical engineering projects is essential.
- Qualified to degree/HNC level in a related field or with a strong practical application.
- Familiar with data centre and critical infrastructure engineering concepts and technologies.
- Fully proficient with all office software and able to produce high quality professional documents, presentations and reports. Experience of working with cad, 3D, BIM software.
- Good communicator, both in writing and on the telephone.
- Able to prioritise tasks and manage time, to meet tender return deadlines.
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: Negotiable dependant on experience