We are looking to recruit a Commercial Manager to join the award-winning Sudlows team. This is a key role within our Critical Infrastructures division, and comes with full responsibility of the Commercial and Quantity Surveying team. We are looking for candidates with proven success in a similar role, with construction, contracting or engineering experience.
Established since 1912, Sudlows work throughout the UK and have a growing portfolio of global clients. This position sits within our award-winning data centre design and build business, and therefore experience of data centre or other critical projects would be highly beneficial.
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
The successful candidate will be a valued member of one of our most successful departments. We are currently looking to grow our business and this role is a key part to this vision.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and commercial management and promote a positive working culture
- Ensure robust subcontract financial management systems are in place
- Provide accurate reporting / forecasting in relation to costs and value
- Routine and regular commercial analysis
- Management of maintenance and risk control
- Portfolio management and team building
- Financial reporting on all phases of a project and advising on the entire project cost including whole life cycle.
- Identifying the commercial opportunities within a project whilst successfully delivering to the satisfaction of the client, including risk management and analysis.
- Dispute resolution via formal dispute resolution routes as well as negotiation.
- Successfully develop existing staff, and supporting junior staff through formal education programmes.
- Establishing subcontracts and subcontractor management
- Cost control and earned value management
- Ensure all commercial team members have clear roles, responsibilities, accountability and authority levels
- Project commercial reporting including accurate forecasting
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience as a Commercial Manager, covering all stages of construction from inception to completion, including claims and dispute resolution.
- Extensive construction or engineering experience
- Experience in many forms of contracts including NEC3 and JCT.
- Process / M&E experience including major project management
- IT literate
- Any experience in electrical and instrumentation, mechanical and piping, and/or technical processes would be beneficial.
- Good command of written and spoken English, demonstrating good client liaison, understanding the needs of stakeholders.
- Degree qualified or equivalent
- MRICS or equivalent
- Pre-contract/target cost development experience
- Full UK driving licence
Planning and Organising:
- Ability to organise own workload
- Ability to prioritise work and deliver to tight deadlines
- Able to maintain accurate and timely records as required by the role
- Identifies and knows how to solve everyday job-based problems in liaison with manager
Working with People:
- Able to establish a rapport with service users as necessary e.g. clients, members of the public, other contractors etc.
- Understands how to encourage and influence people to get the best from them
- Understands the needs of others and able to respond accordingly
- Able to communicate factual information politely and courteously
- Has excellent spoken skills e.g. telephone and face-to-face conversations
- Has advanced written and numeric skills appropriate to the job
- Able to listen, observe and report information to manager
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.