With the continued expansion of our award winning technical services company, Sudlows, who work throughout the UK, have a growing portfolio of projects and have a fantastic opportunity for a Technical Author to join our successful business.
We have over 200 staff and have achieved recent growth with ongoing expansion plans. Sudlows are keen to recruit candidates who will be part of this ambition. We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity in our workforce.
The Technical Author will be a valued member of one of our leading departments. We are currently looking to grow our business and this role is a key part to this vision. The successful candidate will work alongside a project administrator and assist in the creation and completion of the company’s Operational and Maintenance manuals for the site and will be required to be conversant with Mechanical, Electrical and Building infrastructure.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Producing material for, and creating the Operating and Maintenance manuals.
- Liaising with the critical infrastructure specialist team and the electrical / mechanical designers in order to create the written descriptions of operation / scope of works from the drawings and installations as they progress.
- The role holder would be responsible for explaining in words, often for the first time, those systems from drawings prepared by others. The designers and specialist services team would be on hand for discussion as necessary.
- Responsible for the collection and addition of the Testing and Commissioning literature provided by the Specialist Services team
- Produce, maintain and review the following:
- Introduction and Project Directories associated to the manuals
- The schedules and specifications for the manuals from the information presented
- The health and safety and disposal procedures after liaising with the build teams
- The Start Up and Isolation procedures and Maintenance procedures; which may extend to the creation of specific Emergency Operating Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures for particular items of equipment
- Responsible for the collection of the manufacturers literature for the equipment installed.
- Assist with the assessment of that literature (with assistance from the project administrator, design, build and specialist services teams) to ensure that the documentation is relevant and complete for the installations being installed and the manufacturers have captured and provided all relevant documentation.
- Collection and addition of the record drawings. The drawings their selves brought to As-Fitted via the build teams
Skills and Qualifications:
- Relevant degree – 2.1 or higher
- Able to manage a heavy workload and conflicting demands, whilst consistently producing high-quality work to tight deadlines
- Exceptional spelling and grammar skills
- High level of attention to detail
- First class communication skills, personal confidence and the ability to influence others
- Intermediate to advanced Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe InDesign skills
- Excellent research skills with an eye for opportunity
- Meticulous written and verbal communication skills
Planning and Organising:
- Ability to organise own workload
- Able to prioritise work and deliver to tight deadlines
- Able to maintain accurate and timely records as required by the role
- Identifies and knows how to solve everyday job-based problems in liaison with manager
Working with People:
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of clients.
- Understand how to encourage and influence people to get the best from them
- Understand the needs of others and able to respond accordingly
- Able to communicate factual information politely and courteously
- Has everyday spoken skills e.g. telephone and face-to-face conversations
- Has advanced written and numeric skills appropriate to the job
- Can clearly communicate ideas, plans and priorities to others
We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience to the right candidate including professional training and long-term career development opportunities.
Rate: To be negotiated dependant on experience.